Think & Grow
There are two books that I believe anyone who is interested in changing the direction or improving their lives should read. The first is by Jim Rohn's "The Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle: A Guide to Personal Success" and the second is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill.
In case you're curious, the five pieces Jim Rohn goes into are 1. Philosophy, 2. Attitude, 3. Activity, 4. Results, and 5. Lifestyle. Even if someone who has read countless of self-development books and sat through a number of motivational speaker events, there are both insightful and thought-provoking words worth reading. It's a quick and easy read by the way.
Napolean Hill's book is a classic motivation book that takes a little time to digest for some (like me). The information and format are well written and the publication you'll likely purchase is the abridged version. I liked that this book gives specifics and not vague ideas on how get to succeed. In the next few weeks, I will pull together a mastermind group to apply the principles this book provides.
Below are a few excerpts taken from "Think and Grow Rich".
The Thirty-one Major Causes of Failure.
1. Unfavorable hereditary background
2. Lack of a well-defined purpose in life
3. Lack of ambition to aim above mediocrity
4. Insufficient education
5. Lack of self-discipline
6. Ill health
7. Unfavorable environmental influences during childhood
9. Lack of persistence
10. Negative personality
11. Lack of controlled sexual urge
12. Uncontrolled desire for "something for nothing"
13. Lack of a well-defined power of decision
14. One or more of the six basic fears
15. Wrong selection of a mate in marriage
17. Wrong selection of associates in business
18. Superstition and prejudice
19. Wrong selection of a vocation
20. Lack of concentration of effort
21. The habit of indiscriminate spending
22. Lack of enthusiasm
25. Inabiliity to cooperate with others
26. Possession of power that was not acquired through self effort
27. Intentional dishonesty
28. Egotism and vanity
29. Guessing instead of thinking
30. Lack of capital
31. Under this, name any particular cause of failure from which you have suffered that has not been included in the foregoing list.
* The six basic fears -
- The fear of poverty
- The fear of criticism
- The fear of ill health
- The fear of loss of love of someone
- The fear of old age
- The fear of death
The Thirteen Principles of Success from Napolean Hill's "Think and Grow Rich"
4. Specialized Knowledge
6. Organized Planning
9. The Master Mind
10. The Mystery of Sex Transmutation
11. The Subconscious Mind
12. The Brain
13. The Sixth Sense
... and outwit your Fears